Friday, May 14, 2004

Slapping the Salami

Dave's White Album list -- Dave, Glass Onion but not Happiness is a Warm Gun??!? I can't believe it, but I'm not surprised either (I've heard your case for Glass Onion, and I think it's just the choppy rhythm guitar that stabs down on the chord, a la The Dears, that does it for you). The Helter Skelter ending, jarring them awake after lulling them to sleep is genius though. I wish I had thought of that.

Gay marriage -- I'm pretty sure administrations separate ideological programs like gay marriage, abortion, privacy, from the small gov't-big gov't issue. The ideological programs get certain voters (religious, want law and order) while the size of gov't issue gets others (smaller-gov't = less gov't payroll = less taxes = good for business/corp.). Not to say there isn't a pretty big overlap. But, I don't think they lose too much sleep over perceived hypocricies, like the one you mention. It's pretty normal. This is a total non sequitor, but Bill Clinton is the most mesmerizing, charismatic speaker. Have you ever listened/watched/sat through a WJC speech? He's a rockstar. It's a unique experience.

list o' girls -- I too cannot believe Dianna Krall is in that company. Or Hillary Duff. She must be roughly the same age as Jordon Capri ...too young. Bella Donna (aka BellaDonna) is where it's at. There's definitely grass on that field.

Montreal: St. Hubert Street is actually a pretty good distance from McGill. But no matter, it's warm there now I hear, and you can walk a bit. But I'd walk west. The next big avenue parallel to and west of St. Hubert is St. Denis, which is pretty French (as in the people, bars, etc.). The next big avenue parallel to St. Denis is St. Laurent, more English than St. Denis. Both St. Denis and St. Laurent are good for strolling, plenty of food, stores, distractions.

All three of those streets run north-south. If you want some Times-Square type action, I'd walk below Sherbrooke or on St. Catherine (both of these big streets run east-west, 'cept Sherbrooke has nothing to offer, while St. Catherine does). If you want more local, authentic stuff, I'd stay above Sherbrooke on any of those three avenues.

Two things to try -- Schwart'z, a delicatessen that specializes in 'smoked meat', which is, I guess, probably similar to pastrami if anything. Schwartz's is the Katz's, Carnegie Deli, or 2nd Ave. Deli of Montreal. Don't shy away from the line; it's well worth the wait. I'm sure you can find the coordinates on google.

Another is poutine, a unique French-Canadian food. You can get it at the burger king and mcdonald's because it's just fries, gravy, and cheese. For addresses where you can try poutine, try google for "Mondo Frites" (next to Schwartz's) and Mama's, on Avenue de Pins (sp.)

Now that there's some distance between Montreal and me, I think it's more of a sin city than a very culturally endowded city. Major art exhibitions (e.g., something like a Picasso or Goya retrospective) will never make a stop in Montreal at their main museum, Musee des Beaux Arts. And their orchestra/symphony is shit. So you might as well just have fun with your lady friend. I'd be happy to be more specific, with addresses and all, should you need it. It doesn't matter anyway though, since most people end up going to Super-Sex (a nasty strip club with surly service, the Scores of Mtl.) and Burger King.

It's definitely a nice gift for your graduating girlfriend. Where's she going to college in the fall? (Oh snap! I'm just kidding.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home