Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Speakerjohnnn/The Paul Below

It was tough, but here goes:

1. Cry Baby Cry
2. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
3. Back In The USSR
4. Dear Prudence
5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
6. Don't Pass Me By
7. Sexy Sadie
8. Martha My Dear
9. Yer Blues
10. I'm So Tired
11. Glass Onion
12. Blackbird
13. Mother Nature's Son
14. Julia
15. Helter Skelter

Seven Johns, six Pauls, one George (sorry, buddy), and one Ringo. Just under 48 minutes.

Thoughts:
Wow, this was tough to sequence. So many slow songs. It's by no means perfect, and, yeah, I think doing this makes you appreciate the double album more. I really think 'Cry Baby Cry' is a great opener, just starts, no pretense. And then I like Paul hitting you over the head (with excessive pretense) with 'Ob-La-Di'. You'll note that I remedied the overlong wankery of George and Clapton with a swift dose of Ringo, that simple simpleton. And I like the idea of lulling the listener to a false sense of easy conclusion with the three snoozers at the end, before coming back with the death rattle of 'Helter Skelter'...sort of like tacking on 'Her Majesty' at the end of Abbey Road. I will stand by my championing (championship?) of 'Glass Onion' until the day I die.

Cuts:
'Happiness is a Warm Gun' - really unthinkable to cut this one, I know. But I had to cut a bunch of John songs, and this one didn't really fit. Plus, wouldn't it be amazing if you only discovered this on the Anthology discs? What a lost classic!
'Rocky Raccoon' and 'I Will' - Two songs that I would have pegged for inclusion. But, upon listening to the album today, specifically thinking of this project, I was really surprised at how poor they seemed. 'I Will' in particular seems really anachronistic, just out of place.
'Everybody's got something to hide..' - Tough. Too many John songs. Great guitar though. Hate to see it go.
'Long, Long, Long' is a beautiful song, Yohei. For me to poop on. No, seriously, I like it a lot, but it should go on a George solo album.
'Birthday' - I was really surprised at how close this came to inclusion. Always hated it. But it sorta rocks. If the drums were mixed higher, it would actually kick a lot of ass.

Next week - we put together Revolver the way John really wanted it--without Paul!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home