Friday, May 07, 2004

An errandboy :: sent by grocery clerks :: to collect the bill

I enjoyed Willy's analysis. I'm not an avid follower of sports, but the theory/strategy ("the game within the game") is always good fun. Willy -- you might have what it takes to fulfill George Costanza's dream of being a commentator.

On the topic of George, the final Friends episode (I swear, I'm not an avid follower of Friends -- it just seemed like such a communal cultural moment that it would be a shame to miss [I was wrong about that: it could have been missed]) just puts into greater relief the strangeness and innovativeness of Seinfeld. Larry David's 'no hugs no learning' is obviously not abandoned for the Seinfeld final episode, and it really struck me how brilliant it was that Seinfeld ended by having the characters arrested and jailed. I was disappointed when I first saw the episode, and I still think the various courtroom testimonies attesting to the gangs misanthropism (that's not a word by the way), the core of that final episode, is a little reductive...being mean and antisocial wasn't all there was to them. But still, it's kind of admirable how they resisted a tidy ending, self congratulation (except for the "over-the-years" segment with that horrible Green Day ballad in the background).

What was interesting about the final episode of Friends though was in their choice of a concluding song, the one they assigned to the final shot of the door to the apartment closing behind the departing friends, the one that sufficiently agitated me to burst out into tears and start pummeling my fists into the couch cushion: Embryonic Journey by Jefferson Airplane! An instrumental by amazing and underrated guitarist Jorma Kaukonen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home