Tuesday, June 21, 2005

George Lucas is batshit insane

SO the AFI did a tribute to George Lucas that was on earlier this week. And I was watching all the ass kissing and mutual masturbation it and it got me thinking.

The problem I have with Lucas isn't that he's a bad director or that he can't write dialog to save his life. It isn't that he went back to some of my favorite movies with a revisionist pen or that he made some lame, clunky sequels to those movies. It's not even that the industry heaps so much praise on his shoulders. No, the thing that pisses me off is that he deserves every fucking word of it.

Ignoring for a moment that he created both Star Wars and Indiana Jones, he legitimately changed the way movies are made. Even the most cynical of critics has to admit that Lucas has been one of the largest influences in movies over the last 40 years. And more than that, he did his own way. He created production studies, sound house, special effects departments, you name it. Sadly, his own way has included some pretty weird shit, but still.

Consider this my public apology for all the crap I've slung at Lucas over the years, he really did do some great things. And God help me, I still fucking love Star Wars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home