Saturday, October 23, 2004

Didn't you think I would gloat more?



Picture courtesy of The Boston Dirt Dogs

Thanks for the kind words, Willy. I was waiting for the call after game 7, I must say. What, you only call when your team wins? Anyway, that was quite a series, though I understand the last two games weren't that much fun to watch for Yankee fans. I would be just as pissed if I were you. Apparently, 2 hours after game 7, Steinbrenner assured Cashman that he would not be fired...Here's betting they throw more money than Beltran's ever heard of at the centerfielder. I also wouldn't put it past them to be the suckers who overpay for Pedro (Someone's gonna do it, and the sox, for good or for bad, won't go over a set budget for him). But it's sort of easy to see the Yanks turning into the Knicks over the next couple of years--aging superstars with no farm system to get the homegrown talent, and no political will to 'rebuild'. That said, it is still the Yankees, a team good enough to get within an inning of the World Series. Do we really believe that Vazquez is suddenly not the pitcher everyone thought he was? And who's to say Lieber and Mussina can't pitch like they did during this series, next year? They'll definitely sign another starter (Pavano?). And add Beltran to that lineup? Come on. As bad as they looked these past days, the evil empire ain't quite brought down just yet.

I think this is gonna be a great World Series; knowing the sox, it'll go seven games. I've been up til 5 and 6am for most of the last week. Tonight i resume my artificially jet-lagged schedule. Go Sox! How can you root for a team whose fans produce this? (hint: keep scrolling, read the whole thing)

1 Comments:

At October 24, 2004 at 3:55 PM, Blogger Pauly said...

Well, I must say Goobs, we were the ones expecting phone calls after Game 7. Although I was asleep by the time the game was over, I couldn't watch it I was so disgusted. But yes, I have been expecting you to rub it in our faces. I'm glad you waited, I can take it now, whereas a few days ago I would've gone bonkers.

2 things. First, if this is how it feels every year if you're a Boston fan than I have a new respect for you. I was so mad I couldn't see straight, I can't imagine going through this every year.

Second, deep down in your heart of hearts, do you really want the Sox to win? I mean, I know you do, but then the Sox go from the best team that can't catch a break, the hard-luck boys fighting a curse, to just like everyone else. No more curse, no more excuses, no more poor us, suddenly the team becomes so...ordinary. The more I think about the less I want Boston to win, and not just because I dislike Boston, but because baseball is more fun when Boston is cursed. If you think about it, the curse is a huge thing, it's in every SoSox-Yankee story, it's brought up whenever you talk about Boston and the World Series, I feel like it's baseball lore.

BTW, I looked at that site, and I ain't buying it. There's no way a real person made that in all seriousness. Come on, "We have black people in St. Luis too"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home