Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Amazing, I checked the blog yesterday and there was nothing but that stupid picture Goobs posted. What the hell was that anyway? I come to post today and find a flurry of activity.

First off, Yohei: Well, it's hard to say for sure exactly what you need without being able to see your computer, but I'll try to explain. (or I can always stop by since I work in the city). You need to figure out if you have an ethernet jack on your laptop already or not. This can be slightly difficult, as they look exactly like phone jacks, only a little wider. (who are the ad wizards that came up with this one?) They usually have a little drawing next to them that looks like 3 boxes in a triangle, thus poorly representing a computer network. Of course, whether you have the jack or not you are going to need the cord to plug it in, so you can just get one and see if it fits into any of your holes (ha!). If it don't, you be needing a card.
Wireless Junk. Wireless is still a pretty new technology and based on my experiences in the past few months a rath dodgy one. To make wireless work, you need a wireless router (the transmitter) and a wireless card for your laptop (the reciever). Some new computers have the wireless card built in, again, hard to say without knowing what kind of laptop you have. If you do want to set up wireless, I have two suggestions. First, make sure the card and the router are made by the same company. Believe it or not, this makes a big difference. Second, make sure that company is Linksys. I've messed with just about every company out there, and Linksys is by far the best, albeit slightly more expensive.
That probably seems like a lot but in actuallity we've barely scratched the surface. Lemme know if you'd like to me to drop by (I do this sort of thing all the time...when I'm not installing home theaters).

Anyway, on to my bloggy stuff. For those who don't follow such things, there is a new Doom game out, Doom 3. You'll remember that Doom 2 was one of the best games ever to come out on the computer, and this sequel is about 10 years in the making. But it's finally out, and supposed to be really cool, so I thought about giving it a spin. Then I checked out the system requirements. Now, my computer is no slouch (AMD 2400+, 512 RAM, ATI RADEON 9100) but it doesn't even come close to being able to run this game. Just out of curiousity I looked up how much I would have spend just to run the game. $300! On a computer that's only a year old! I mean, I realize we're all a little older than most hardcore gamers, but I have the fastest system of anyone I know, and I can't run this game. Are there really people out there upgrading every 6 months just so they can run the latest and greatest? That must cost a fortune.

Ok, just a little bitching about how my computer sucks now, I'm over it.

As an aside, the same RAM that I bought for my computer a year ago now costs twice what it once did! I paid $75 for it last summer and now it costs $144. Isn't technology supposed to get cheaper with time?

I know this post is getting long, but one last thing. For those of you with a vested interest in this, it's worth noting that I checked my numbers with netflix today. In June I rented 21 discs and in July...15. I got almost 33% less for my money last month thanks to their shenanigans. And August isn't shaping up to be any better. So far I've had 2 out of 4 discs take an extra "phantom day" to get to me. George is getting upset!!!

2 Comments:

At August 5, 2004 at 6:29 PM, Blogger Cimazuzutokustaff said...

Hey Paul, thanks for your help. I realized that I do have an ethernet jack on my comp (and therefore an internal card as Dave rightly suggested) -- so I just bought a cable this morning, took everything to the library, plugged shit in, and everything works. I didn't know it was that easy.

Now that I've got this working I'm gonna hold off on wireless. I've also heard it's still very vulnerable and not secure. But if I do, linksys it is.

 
At August 5, 2004 at 6:40 PM, Blogger Pauly said...

I would change bobka's, except I've already placed my orders for the next 6 months with this bobka, and that would be a pain to do all over again. And while a different bobka may not have this problem, there's no telling if they'll have all the kinds of chocolate I like, or even if the bobka is reliable. It's really a pretty minor complaint at the end of the day...so each order costs me $1.50 instead of $1.05? That's still better than half off any so-called "brick-and-morter" bobka.

Remember, the bobka you know is better than the bobka you don't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home