Friday, June 04, 2004

And all that crap...err...jazz

Hmm, all things bloggy seem to have slowed down. Here is some pointless drivel to move things along:

My 2 week trial with Netflix is up today. I got to see Ran, Master and Commander, Love Actually, and Chicago. Also the first season of Buffy (3 discs). Totally kick ass service, definitely gonna keep it. Few notes on the movies...Master and Commander was not better than Last Samurai (Nish, I'm looking in your direction). It was like watching a sequel to a movie that never got made. Love Actually wasn't too bad, if you take it for what it is. Catch me in the right mood (did I mention Amy T was in Sparta this week?) and I'm a sucker for that stuff. What can I say about Chicago? To quote Xander (from Buffy), "On a scale from one to ten...it sucked". Renee Zellweger? Worst. Actress. Ever. Here's a tip; squinting your eyes and pouting your lips is not acting, you horse-faced twit! Joey Adams' untalented, unattractive cousin indeed. I have no beef with Ran, Kurosawa pwns me.

I discovered something yesterday that I thought was awesome, but everyone else seems to already know. I can run my computer audio through my receiver for surround sound! I was doing research for a client and read about it accidentally. Well, I had my receiver and speakers from college just sitting around, so I hooked them up. Music and movies sound so awesome now. If only I could figure out a way to turn down all my other sounds...it practically knocks me out of my chair when someone IM's me.

That's it, have a great weekend everybody.

1 Comments:

At June 5, 2004 at 9:56 PM, Blogger Cimazuzutokustaff said...

I didn't see either Master and Commander or The Last Samurai. But I do know this: I will not EVER feel the need to watch Tom Cruise playing a samurai -- especially because it seems to me that his new found love for his bizarre Hollywood version of the samurai code/ro-nin/Japanese-Buddhism seems to only be a palliative for his midlife crisis. Not to mention the absurdity of the premise, as I understand it. Russell Crowe as a ship captain is fine in comparison. Of course I can't speak to the actual merits or shortcomings of either movie.

I did enjoy the ro-nin segment of Ronin, however. (Although, maybe I'm just thick, but I don't see how that scene in Ronin related to the larger thrust of the film...the bearded French man explains to De Niro that this specific group of samurai/fanatics lived by a strict code of honor and self-sacrifice, but the rest of the movie seems like a straightforward action movie just set in really nice parts of Europe, and larger questions of violence and self-sacrifice are not really ever addressed.) My favorite part of Ronin is when a wounded but stoic De Niro walks Jean Reno through how to remove the bullets from his (De Niro's) side without any anesthetic, and then when it's done, mutters, "if you don't mind, I'm going to pass out now."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home